Monday, June 12, 2006

Bookworks & Zines







































I never really thought to document my zines and bookworks until recently. Here is a small sampling of recent ones: TEA BAG (Sept-Dec 2004), CAHIER (Apr-May 2005) and EL CORAZON (Sept-Nov 2005). I typically sell these at annual zine fairs for 3-4 dollars each, as well as give them away or trade them to friends and relatives. It's been a while since I've done one...maybe I'll try to pop one off just for fun within the next few weeks. I have a fairly elaborate one planned that will be produced in conjunction with my From Russia With Love installation in October, which should be pretty neat...
Zines have been a huge part of my life since my early teens....I would have never guessed that 10 years after I made my first one, I'd be conducting a talk about them at an art college, and exhibiting one in an art gallery. Crazy. It is sad that zines are a bit of an oddity within the art world...when I did my talk about the history of zines, very few people outside of faculty had ever heard of them.
Click on the bookwork images for a closer look...

No comments: