Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Ought Apartment at the VAG






















At the beginning of the month, I was in Vancouver for a few days (doing this) and I was lucky enough to catch Reece Terris' installation Ought Apartment at the Vancouver Art Gallery.  In short, the installation involves a multi-level structure in the middle of the gallery which houses 6 mock apartments, one per decade, from the 1950s to the present. Terris' eye for detail is incredible, and it was a riot watching gallery-goers of all ages revel in the spot-on period furnishings and accesories, from the surprise drawer contents of the 1950s washroom to the all-too-familiar popcorn air popper in the 1980s kitchen.  My personal favourite detail was the VAG's marble spiral staircase trimmed with orange shag carpeting! 

Ought Apartment was so funhouse-esque, I couldn't resist taking a number of photos (see the above detail from the 1970s apartment) which eventually got me in trouble with gallery security.  In fear that they will tar and feather me if I share them here, I am only including this one photo...if you want to see more, you'll have to come over to my place and check 'em out!

For more on Terris' Ought Apartment, click here.

No comments: